Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Gift of Music........

Hearing about the Brooklyn Bowl for over two Years - reading countless posts about how great the shows were there, it was only fitting that this would be the 1st stop of 4 Shows 4 Cities 7 Days.

After landing in NY and getting settled, the obvious thing for me to do was inquire with Mr. Charlie mrcharlietoldmeso.com about what shows were coming up in the tri-state area. I was expecting 2-3 shows worth checking out - but the list I got back was a bit longer....however everything after the opening line of the email I rec'd back didn't really matter - I had found the 1st show of the trip ...

"I have an extra for 7 walkers the Tuesday after memorial day if you want to go. Brooklyn Bowl".

Here are some others:
George Porter Jr. w/ sp. guests Orgone.
All at (le) poisson rouge June 2nd

05/27/11 Fri Steve Kimock Beacon Theatre
05/28/11 Sat Toubab Krewe Wonder Bar Asbury Park, NJ
05/31/11 Tue Phish PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel,
06/01/11 Wed Phish PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel,
06/02/11 Thu Gregg Allman Bergen Performing Arts Center Englewood, NJ
06/05/11 Sun High And Mighty Brass Band Michael Arnone's Crawfish Festival Augusta, NJ

6/10 - Bonerama Sullivan Hall
6/11 - Bonerama Sullivan Hall

Robert Randolph
06/13/11 Mon
Iridium Jazz Club
New York, NY

Galactic
6/22/2011 - Wed Brooklyn Bowl
Brooklyn, NY

Galactic
6/23/2011 - Thu Brooklyn Bowl
Brooklyn, NY

While the last 4 shows above didn't coincide with my dates back East - I've left them in here in case you feel compelled to catch one yourself.

The night before the 7 Walkers deserves mention here as it shares in this Musical theme.... Many years ago a close friend, Matt Murphy, passed away, and left behind many crazy memories and all his worldly possessions. Included in those possessions was an acoustic yamaha guitar. Matt loved this guitar and while he never truly mastered playing it - his passion and love for music combined to deliver some great jams. At the time of Matt's passing he left behind 2 siblings, a wonderful mother. grandmother, and a niece and a nephew not quite old enough to fully appreciate Matt's zest for music. Fast forward about 19 years and that nephew all of 5 years of age in 1992 is now 24 and a very accomplished musician and a great young man.

With help from his Mother, Beth and the generosity of Bobby Q -

I traveled 3000 Miles with that acoustic guitar in tow and met Christopher in NYC for what he thought was a chance to reconnect with a friend of his late Uncle. After about an hour of talking - I excused myself and retrieved the guitar from the hostess station and walked back to where we were sitting at the Bar - I asked Christopher to check out this Guitar I had and asked his opinion - he seemed a bit perplexed but answered favorably that it was a nice guitar - with a hand on his shoulder I asked him to take a closer look and then told him - I wanted to give him the guitar, again puzzlement showed on his face, before he could gather his thoughts I told him the true history of the guitar and that was when the magic really happened -


I, actually we (Bobby, Beth and I) had honored Matt in the best way possible and shared something sacred to him with someone he would be so proud of if he could be here today. I miss Matt and his Brother Leo, but I feel blessed to still be in touch with their wonderful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment