Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Buffalo Springfield - Santa Barbara Bowl - Santa Barbara, CA - 6/07/11

Show # 4 - Buffalo Springfield was actually the 1st and only show of the 7 day run that had been planned for, and purchased tickets in advance. The dates for traveling back East were set well before the Buffalo Springfield Tour had been announced. While the LA shows at my Old Stomping Grounds, would have been nice - changing airline tix to accommodate the Tour Schedule makes an already expensive ticket out of reach.

Santa Barbara is 90mins away - but the lure of a new Venue to check out with a legendary band playing together after 40 years apart - leveled the playing field - when Itzy volunteered to do the driving - I was ready to sign on the dotted line and pulled the trigger on a pair of tickets.



The drive up was the perfect appetizer for the feast we were about to enjoy. Hugging the coast for over an hour we passed several Vistas that literally make your day just by catching a glimpse of them and to be lucky enough to sit back and soak it all in was quite spectacular.







Transitioning over to the 101 fwy proved effortless and we exited at Milipas with some tacos on our mind and a recommendation from E Rock and Holly to stop at Super Rica Taquera for some down home cooking down right.

As the only place on Milipas with a line out the door we kinda knew we were in the right place - when we noticed David Crosby standing in line three groups ahead of us we truly knew we were in the right place to fuel up for the Concert (He's just out of frame in the 1st photo and waiting for the tacos at his table next to ours in the 2nd photo).





We met some great folks in line Bob and Linda, from Agora hills. - they used to stop into the taqueria whenever they made the trip up to SB.



We headed up Milipas to the Bowl to take up our position. Not sure if it was the Jet lag, or the effects of the self inflicted taco coma that was compounding things - but there's a hell of a lot of walking at the SB Bowl - maybe I'm spoiled taking the Bus to the Hollywood Bowl - but I think a tow rope would help matters greatly in SB, anyway I digress but thought the excessive walking should be noted.

As Gillian Welch finished up her last few songs we took our seats near the top of the Bowl -
Section C (approx 240 ft from the stage) nestled in between a bunch of folks who were probably about 18 when Buffalo Springfield last toured, we found our pocket. The saying "There's not a bad seat in the house" gets tossed around alot - I think it really rings true about the SB Bowl. The elevated seats did gives us the best pre-show view in the house with a sliver of the Pacific Ocean visible above the treeline.



The band decided they would wait until sunset to take the stage. And once they did it was like taking a trip back in time, with one catch - we were all older. The Music was pure 1968 - the Venue timeless. But the Fans, had Matured.



As someone with an appreciation for a pretty wide spectrum of music, covering some vintage genres, Blues, Jazz and Bluegrass.... I am usually one of the older folks in the crowd, not the oldest but definitely not the youngest. Well at Buffalo Springfield I was the youngest, and while I greatly appreciated everyone's politeness and respect for the performers I think this was the one variable that kept the night on a mellower groove than the Bands previous shows at the Wiltern, that I heard rave reviews about.


The setlist was very similar if not the same as they were doing earlier on the tour leading up to Bonnaroo.

On the Way Home

Rock & Roll Woman ***

Burned

A Child's Claim to Fame

Do I Have to Come Right Out and Say It

Go and Say Goodbye

I Am a Child ***

Hot Dusty Roads

Kind Woman ***

Mr. Soul ***

Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing ***

Everybody's Wrong

My Kind of Love

Sad Memory

Bluebird ***

Broken Arrow ***

For What It's Worth ***

Rockin' In The Free World @Song[Neil Young]

*** indicates my favs with Mr. Soul and For what it's worth tied for 1st.

Looking back, I would have loved to hear "Sit down I think I love you" if not from the stage, I might have settled on hearing it from the milf sitting next to me but alas I had to make do with the songs they were singing and the bearded Itzy that was my travelin' companion on this trip. Itzy rallied like a tramp (had a mental typo at 3:33am) I meant to type Itzy rallied like a Champ and heeded my text to meet me in the aisle it was time to upgrade.

With only 3 songs to go we charged into section H (approximately 135 ft from the stage) and found a few seats on the aisle. Fortunately I found the one guy in the whole place who was rocking out and having as much fun as I was dancing and grooving to the band. I salute you Bob C., you helped me to close out my - 4 Shows in 4 Cities in 7 days tour with an exclamation point. Your exuberance was the perfect cap to a fine but mellow evening - I hope we have the opportunity to catch more shows together in the future, be it back at the SB Bowl or some other Venue near or far.

To everyone else who shared in this brief but mighty tour, Christopher H., Charlie, Jimmy B, Zach, Matty Mateo, Jon, Mindy, Cindy, Chris, Elliott, Bruce, Jon's Crew at Webster hall and the dude that tipped him off to tix, Itzy, Bob & Linda, David Crosby and the crew at Superica Taquera (while I'm giving shout outs for food - Katz Deli in NYC and Blue Ribbon BBQ- which I didn't get to try but have heard great things from so many peeps I will mention it here) Thank you!!! Live Music is the drug I seek more than any other and I have a feeling you're addicted too.

Peace out and let me know if you need a plus 1......


Oh yea if you want to read someone else's take on the Buffalo Springfield show click here - the writer is a bit verbose and the review is lacking photos, but he does give another perspective and confirms some of my thoughts as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment