Wednesday, June 8, 2011

7 Walkers at the Brooklyn Bowl, Brooklyn NY- 5/31/11

As I mentioned in the previous post - I'd been hearing about this great live music venue in Brooklyn for a few years and knew I'd have to experience a show there on a future visit to NY - well as fate would have it - there was a show and a ticket waiting for me on my most recent trip to NY.

Having heard of the band and a few of its members I thought I knew what to expect - boy was I surprised..... After taking a fairly effortless Subway ride down from the UWS - (Following a nice bowl of Shrimp and grits with Mike Rosen at Ditch Plains) Jimmy B and I walked thru a very cool Williamsburg section of Brooklyn and arrived at the Brooklyn bowl with plenty of time to spare. We found Charlie outside as he needed a "breath of fresh air" and the 3 of us entered the Venue and made our way up to the bar, while they offer a fine selection of Draft beers - Bourbon was on call and would be for the entire evening - at least for Mr Charlie and I. The Venue was great and so was the staff - the crowd had not arrived early and the 3 of us quickly took up position in the front row - right in front of Guitarist Papi Mali's Microphone.



As we got closer to showtime the space behind us filled in but not once throughout the show did we feel crowded or cramped.

The band took the stage and Papi started right in.....








With Billy Kruetzman on drums and Tie dyes abound, the night was sure to be flavored with many Grateful Dead Covers - something I missed when checking out the bands website and Myspace pages.







Things started to kick into high gear when the Mighty Atwater showed up.....





With Kirk Joseph, founding member of the Dirty Dozen Brass Band playing Tuba to fill in for George Porter, Jr on Bass - Naw'lins was front and center (OK maybe more like rear and to the right)......







Henry Butler was the 1st of a few special guests....



and the horn section kept the Nawlins vibe rolling along





Later in the evening a soulful Tami Lynne joind the boys onstage after I mistakenly thought she was trying to crash the space opened up when Jimmy B went to the Bar for refills.




Joan Osbourne came out next and closed the show with a few numbers - Lovelight 1 of my all time favs - was probably the highlight for me......





I will add some more links with videos as they become available but here's one to get you started and a more detailed review of the show complete with professional photos - all mine were taken with my trusty blackberry and it's whopping 3.2 mgpxl camera.

Another review with tighter pix - Jam bands review

No comments:

Post a Comment